Thursday, March 29, 2012

90 Day Challenge

Since I began culinary school in January 2010, I have gained about 15 lbs. I've been meaning for a long time to write a post about the struggle of staying healthy in the culinary industry, especially as a pastry chef, but didn't really know where to start or what to say. I think I will start at the beginning.


I've always "struggled" with my weight. People from the outside might have thought that was silly. I thinned out in high school, I realize looking back, but I didn't really feel like I "fit in" with all the stereotypes. The social pressures are very real. I was 5' 10" and always felt giant next to the tiny girls running around my school. I wanted so badly to exercise, but didn't have guidance. I wanted to run, but the only place I was allowed to go was the very hilly driveway. I didn't have to motivation to suck it up and run this. I wanted to join the swim team, but the pool was at a different location and it was too far to drive with my parents' busy working schedules and my autistic brother.

After graduation, I got my driver's license and that summer I walked in my best friend's neighborhood every night. It was a mile around and we would walk it 2-3 times every single night when I got off work. I lost quite a bit of weight and I literally wasn't trying. I got down to 155 lbs, the smallest I think I've ever been, and a size 8. Over time I gained the weight back and then some.

When I got pregnant with my first daughter, I weight 165-170. I gained FIFTY POUNDS throughout my pregnancy, scarfing down ice cream and any other treats I could get my hands on. I was also extremely anxious since I had miscarried previously, and basically just sat around doing nothing.



I lost a little after I had Harmony, but weighed around 205 when I got pregnant with my second daughter, Layla.


I refused to gain fifty pounds this time around, and ended up losing 13 from morning sickness during my first trimester. Overall, I only gained 26 pounds throughout the pregnancy.


After I had Layla, I started jogging at the 6 week mark. At first I couldn't even do two "poles" on the baseball field. My husband motivated me to keep going, and after running at least five days a week, eating healthy, and breastfeeding for several months, I got down to 160 lbs!!! I felt fantastic. I looked fantastic.


Then I started culinary school. Life got busy. I managed to maintain running at least 3x a week all the way until the last two quarters. I started working. I stopped working out pretty much all together. I was tasting all the pastries at work. I was tasting rich foods at school. I was sliding backwards.

I am now four months post graduation. I am up to 180 lbs. I am a size 10/12. Something has to change. I know several friends who have participated in the Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge. They lost weight and have kept it off. I am giving it a shot. I am on day 4. I am replacing two meals a day with the Visalus Shake Mix that tastes like cake mix. On days I work, I am having a shake for breakfast and dinner because I hardly ever have time to eat those meals anyways. Marc and I have lunch together- usually grilled chicken and veggies. I've had an apple pie shake, strawberry pineapple, strawberry cheesecake, and peanut butter cup. They are delicious and I can't wait to try more. In between each meal you are SUPPOSED TO SNACK on healthy things- like strawberries, pineapple, nuts, lowfat yogurt, etc. This helps ALOT.

I'm interested to see how it works without exercise, so this first week I am not exercising. I will start jogging again in week 2. I am so embarrassed to post my before pictures, but I feel it is a necessary evil. I need the motivation. I will be taking 30, 60, and 90 day photos, as well. My 90 day goal is 15 lbs. I feel comfortable at 165 and after that, we will see how I am feeling. I will be keeping you posted!



No comments:

Post a Comment