Sunday, May 6, 2012

This and That

There a couple of new things that are on the menu right now. Awhile back, Adam had the idea of trying to smoke marshmallows in the altosham so they taste like they were done over a campfire. I decided to make a s'more cheesecake using this idea. There is a graham cracker crust, a chocolate ganache, and a marshmallow cheesecake layer made with the cold smoked marshmallows. I then make some homemade graham crackers to go with it, and a red marshmallow ganache on the side.
We have also had numerous requests to bring back a pineapple upside down cake that used to be on the menu before I came to Roy's. That is also back on the menu, replacing the almond cake that was on the menu for quite some time. It comes with coconut ice cream made in house, and I added a maraschino cherry chutney. I mean, come on! What's pineapple upside down cake without the cherry?!?
I decided, since I had my camera available, to take a picture of this season's Prix Fixe dessert, too. The spring dessert is a PB+J. This is a banana pound cake with a strawberry gel, fresh strawberries, a peanut butter mousse, and a peanut butter banana tuille. I have a love/hate relationship with this dessert. I really am not a huge fan of the banana extract used in the cake. It tastes like a banana runt/airhead. People either seem to love or detest this dessert. I do like the peanut butter mousse and the strawberry gel, but not the banana components. I think it would be better with a peanut butter cake and a banana mousse, if banana is included at all. I, personally, never ate bananas on my PB+J's, though, and could do without that flavor component.
Another recent task was to recreate someone's top tier of their wedding cake in cupcake form for their one year anniversary. This was a fun task, and I didn't get pictures of the final canoe, but I added heart shaped sugar cookies with a white royal icing and a silver rose painted on them. They were packaged in cellophane bags and tied with a ribbon. There was one bag of two cookies with roses on each side and one in the center that said "Hauoli Piha Makahiki" (Happy Anniversary). The cupcakes were red velvet with cream cheese frosting, topped with a thin layer of fondant to paint on and give a clean look.

No comments:

Post a Comment